打印

[業界消息] GPU, ASIC supply chains see dim prospects for crypto mining

GPU, ASIC supply chains see dim prospects for crypto mining

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180611PD204.html
引用:
Affected by the abrupt fading of crypto mining craze starting in April 2018, suppliers of mining graphic cards are plagued by increasingly high inventories, and players in the supply chain of mining ASICs are also suffering significant decreases in orders, with crypto mining no longer a source of their revenue and profit growth momentum, according to industry sources.

The sources said that from April 2017 to March 2018, both ASIC-based Bitcoin mining machines and GPU-powered Litecoin and Ethereum mining devices all saw supply fall short of demand. This helped China's leading Bitcoin miner supplier Bitmain squeeze into the top 10 clients of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), while also enabling Taiwan graphics card suppliers including Asustek, Gigabyte Technology, Micro-Star International (MSI) and TUL score record revenues and profits in the first quarter of 2018.

But the crypto mining heyday suffered an abrupt downturn in April due mainly to governments of China, South Korea, the US and many European countries rushing to clamp down on digital exchanges following exposures of scams, frauds and market manipulations.

Despite a slight upturn in the mining market in May, declining mining investment reward has forced many small mining farms to shut down. Only some medium and large-size farms remain operational, but they have gradually scaled back procurement of mining machines, industry sources said.

As a result, Taiwan suppliers of graphic cards have seen their inventories pick up rapidly, and their sales prices have declined to the levels seen in early 2017. The suppliers may be forced to return to the gaming market to renew growth momentum in the second half of 2018, as they have turned conservative about the prospects for the crypto mining sector. Even Nvidia and AMD predicted earlier the crypto mining market demand would maintain a downward trend in the second half, the sources continued.

On another front, ASIC supply chain players are also affected by the lackluster mining market. TSMC, for instance, has revised downward its estimate for 2018 revenues from fabricating mining ASICs for Bitmain, while ASIC designers Faraday Technology and Global Unichip, as well as IC packager Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) have also lowered revenue contributions from mining ASICs in the year, the sources indicated.

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2018-6-11 21:35 發表
https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180611PD204.html

Once the coins go POS, it will be the doom for AMD. I hope to see it soon no matter how I hated Nvidia, that's what AMD deserves for doing NOTHING for NEITHER GAMING NOR OPENCL.

引用:
原帖由 Sandbo 於 2018-6-11 23:59 發表

Once the coins go POS, it will be the doom for AMD. I hope to see it soon no matter how I hated Nvidia, that's what AMD deserves for doing NOTHING for NEITHER GAMING NOR OPENCL.
GCN is the cause.
And I expect a new GPU architecture to be in action in 2020.