Board logo

標題: [業界消息] AMD 2012 Q3 Earning [打印本頁]

作者: qcmadness    時間: 2012-10-19 19:23     標題: AMD 2012 Q3 Earning

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/Exte ... TF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/Exte ... TF8VHlwZT0z&t=1
引用:
Gross margin was 31% primarily due to an inventory write-down of approximately $100 million due to lower than anticipated future demand for certain products. The write-down was comprised mainly of first generation A-Series APU products (“Llano”) which adversely impacted gross margin by approximately 8 percentage points.
引用:
In the third quarter AMD repaid in full all of the outstanding principal and accrued interest on the Company’s 5.75% Convertible Senior Notes due 2012, or approximately $499 million, and issued $500 million aggregate principal amount of 7.50% Senior Notes due 2022.
引用:
AMD is also putting in place a business model to break even at an operating income level of $1.3 billion of quarterly revenue. The company is targeting to achieve this by the end of the third quarter of 2013.
This is bad for AMD, but the last point is a realistic goal.
作者: Puff    時間: 2012-10-22 23:23

Charlie tells that at least for the microserver lineup there will be ARM-inside alternatives to x86, doing what the customer wants. sosad
I wonder the future of the Bobcat family. Rearchitecting into ARM ISA? Or still remain its x86 ISA and breaking into the mobile market? Or dump the Bulldozer family... ehhh...

[ 本帖最後由 Puff 於 2012-10-22 23:29 編輯 ]
作者: qcmadness    時間: 2012-10-23 13:19

引用:
原帖由 Puff 於 2012-10-22 23:23 發表
Charlie tells that at least for the microserver lineup there will be ARM-inside alternatives to x86, doing what the customer wants. sosad
I wonder the future of the Bobcat family. Rearchitecting into  ...
dumping x86 is not viable for the next 5 years for intel / amd
作者: Puff    時間: 2012-10-23 23:29

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2012-10-23 13:19 發表

dumping x86 is not viable for the next 5 years for intel / amd
Well, I personally doubt AMD will release any kind of ARM products. Not counting designs with special-purposed co-processors, of course.

Though there is a possibility of AMD being a ARM friend in ultra-low-power designs, that they wants to break immediately into the mobile SoC market without the ISA wall, they will have to use licensed cores. But the company's key value is in their own core designs... say Bulldozer, Bobcat and GCN. At the meantime, they will still have no significant advantage but kind of disadvantage in those markets. e.g. no integrated baseband?

The only way I see as a viable AMD with ARM approach in the mid-term future is just hybrid x86-ARM core for their own products if possible and economical, and ARM cores only in semi-custom designs. And I doubt AMD x86 lines will actually die, unless AMD moves to provide high-performance ARM cores at the same time at risk, and, they succeed to break into the traditional PC and the general purpose server market (which are both dominated by Windows).

To me, it is more possible that x86 cores will successfully break into the mobile and embedded market...

[ 本帖最後由 Puff 於 2012-10-24 00:07 編輯 ]

歡迎光臨 HKSpot (https://bbs.hk-spot.com/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0 Lite