打印

[業界消息] GF drops its 14XM, licensing ***'s 14nm technologies

GF drops its 14XM, licensing ***'s 14nm technologies

http://globalfoundries.com/newsroom/press-releases/2014/04/17/samsung-and-globalfoundries-forge-strategic-collaboration-to-deliver-multi-sourced-offering-of-14nm-finfet-semiconductor-technology

Good News: AMD can now access to a far larger fab cap. Lower biz risk.

<crap-alert>
Maybe QC is right about AMD being power-efficient craze, as it seems no process in the pipeline will allow AMD to build speedy stuff like BD in the future again. The industry is transforming towards MOARRR LOW POWER either. I am still hoping for a nice big x86 core, tho. Moderate frequency (up to 3?) to target notebooks, EE mid- to high-end servers, "good enough" gaming desktops and down to some cheap dual-core SoCs for premium Win tabs and ITX/HTPCs. ...well, this sounds like an i3/i5 plus Cyclone hybrid clone but with strong integrated graphics.

[ 本帖最後由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 01:12 編輯 ]

結果變做*** v.s. ........
ロストックで風を攫うや思い出す

引用:
原帖由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 01:09 發表
http://globalfoundries.com/newsr ... onductor-technology

Good  ...
Samsung's 14nm may not be as bad as you would think
2.5-3GHz high-end CPUs are doable.

引用:
原帖由 Puff 於 2014/4/19 01:09 發表
http://globalfoundries.com/newsr ... onductor-technology

Good  ...

SHAMESUNG
得, 可以比個理由唔買 AMD 了
新機
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸
Kancolle - 大淀, 翔鶴 (太太), 烏海 , 瑞鶴

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2014-4-19 07:36 發表

Samsung's 14nm may not be as bad as you would think
2.5-3GHz high-end CPUs are doable.
yeah that's what I think. perf/watt optimized big core, running up to 3-3.5 Ghz on mainstream to gaming desktops and perf notebooks (turbo). considering that BCOM claimed 3 Ghz for their 16FF Vulcan core, 14nm from *** shouldn't be worse than that. No more 4Ghz thingy in the foreseeable future.

But it is still uncertain if AMD still commits to regain victory in the x86 field.

[ 本帖最後由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 14:02 編輯 ]

引用:
原帖由 dom 於 2014-4-19 11:36 發表

SHAMESUNG
得, 可以比個理由唔買 AMD 了
新機
信你一成

引用:
原帖由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 13:57 發表

yeah that's what I think. perf/watt optimized big core, running up to 3-3.5 Ghz on mainstream to gaming desktops and perf notebooks (turbo). considering that BCOM claimed 3 Ghz for their 16FF Vulcan  ...
They need to

引用:
原帖由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 13:57 發表

yeah that's what I think. perf/watt optimized big core, running up to 3-3.5 Ghz on mainstream to gaming desktops and perf notebooks (turbo). considering that BCOM claimed 3 Ghz for their 16FF Vulcan  ...
If AMD is really willing to roll out Perf/Watt optimized core, I think there are still chance for AMD on par with Intel and get some marketshare back, and not to bore Intel anymore.
ロストックで風を攫うや思い出す

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2014-4-19 15:52 發表

信你一成
ロストックで風を攫うや思い出す

引用:
原帖由 Henry 於 2014-4-19 15:56 發表

If AMD is really willing to roll out Perf/Watt optimized core, I think there are still chance for AMD on par with Intel and get some marketshare back, and not to bore Intel anymore.
on par with/competitive with Intel in the mid-end PC (i5), while those high-clocked i7... em...
Nonetheless this is enough, even for gaming (hello DX12), if they CAN pair these cores with a strong integrated graphics AND hetero-computing gains mainstream adoption. The story of servers is a bit different tho, which depends more on their memory hierarchy performance (w/ NUMA).

[ 本帖最後由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 16:17 編輯 ]

引用:
原帖由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 16:09 發表

on par with/competitive with Intel in the mid-end PC (i5), while those high-clocked i7... em...
Nonetheless this is enough, even for gaming (hello DX12), if they CAN pair these cores with a strong in ...
No...

Most important is still CPU performance and performance / watt.

You may want distributed computing if the inter-socket bandwidth is not enough

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2014-4-19 16:17 發表

No...

Most important is still CPU performance and performance / watt.
single-thread or multi-thread?

[ 本帖最後由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 16:22 編輯 ]

引用:
原帖由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 16:20 發表

single-thread or multi-thread? single-thread is already nice if it is on par with an i5. i7 is just scaling the frequency further. multi-thread depends on the scale of cores.
For server, multi-thread
For workstation, single-thread

For bulldozer family, the problem is not the performance, but the power / performance

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2014-4-19 16:21 發表

For server, multi-thread
For workstation, single-thread
Single-thread is already nice if it is on par with an i5. i7 is just scaling the frequency further.
Multi-thread depends on the scale of the chip. you can add as many cores as you want, but the problem, particularly with AMD when you look at BD's NUMA scaling, is the memory hierarchy performance.

p.s. oh, sorry for late edit.

引用:
原帖由 Puff 於 2014-4-19 16:24 發表

Single-thread is already nice if it is on par with an i5. i7 is just scaling the frequency further.
Multi-thread depends on the scale of the chip. you can add as many cores as you want, but the probl ...
For server, performance / power is important because the price of a rack differs with different power consumption