AMD to release not only ARM CPU but also ARM APU in 2014
Well good luck to them
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸
Kancolle - 大淀, 翔鶴 (太太), 烏海 , 瑞鶴

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2012-11-15 18:46 發表

APU SoC?
I am not sure how deep the SoC integration is, but I don't think secondary I/O will be enabled in processors covering the general-purpose server market, which generally uses a unified sockets for multi-processor scaling. Every socket having secondary I/O capability will be kind of waste... though it could be affordable as a trade-off to power and latency.

So BGA socket for IHVs interested in SoC/fabric, and LGA socket + FCH for IHVs that want generational compatibility?

[ 本帖最後由 Puff 於 2012-11-18 17:53 編輯 ]

引用:
原帖由 dom 於 2012-11-15 19:57 發表

Well good luck to them
Judging by their situation, selling one design into multiple markets seems the smartest way to go on. Thus, I assume the ARM APU from AMD will be relatively small and designed for power efficiency, as compared to the throughput/performance-driven x86 thing. But will it fit the tablet market at the same time? I have no answer. So having enough customer to cover the R&D cost is my question to the new ARM business of AMD.  
複製內容到剪貼板
代碼:
AMD products in 2014 =
[GPU] 2-3 GPU ASICs (VI)
[x86] + 1 mainstream APU for PC + 1 low power APU for new PC form factors & embedded systems + 1 performance APU + 1 x86 CPU
[ARM] + 1 ARM CPU SoC + 1 ARM APU
[???] + perhaps a mobile APU designed for ULP devices, with integrated ISP( and baseband?). hybrid? x86? ARM?
[SCB] + Xbox processor + Playstation processor
[ 本帖最後由 Puff 於 2012-11-18 18:02 編輯 ]

If they don't F___ up the driver again they maybe ok
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸

引用:
原帖由 dom 於 2012-11-18 22:28 發表
If they don't F___ up the driver again they maybe ok
Driver... let's not talk too far. If the APU is 200 mm^2 kind of thing and designed for consuming tens of watts, will you fit it into a tablet? Anyway, perhaps they are designing these chips for sub-one watt to 10 watts, and filling the downside of their power-scaled product portfolio. Then we may see one chip (with IP-block-level power gating) for two to three markets - say an ARM APU for microservers, embedded systems and high-end mobile devices.

What I can say is... AMD has no clear picture to the public - to both its existing markets and the emerging markets it's heading into. AMD tells everyone that they will have something for someone in the future, but the picture is in the mist, and nothing is shown up. The roadmaps seem changing again and again, and there is still no clear guidance in performance improvements or advancement in feature set. I understand their situation, but hiding all the things from the public won't help your reputation. It'll just be hurt.

[ 本帖最後由 Puff 於 2012-11-18 23:42 編輯 ]

引用:
原帖由 Puff 於 2012/11/18 23:29 發表

Driver... let's not talk too far. If the APU is 200 mm^2 kind of thing and designed for consuming tens of watts, will you fit it into a tablet? Anyway, perhaps they are designing these chips for sub- ...
If you see the recent post from 吹水版 / 隔離 No.1 系統版
You will see ppl still "Think" Intel is better
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸