打印

[硬件] ATI 前CEO辭職

ATI 前CEO辭職

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070710/20070710005460.html?.v=1
引用:
AMD Announces the Resignation of Dave Orton, former CEO of ATI

yesterday July 10, 9:10 am ET SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AMD (NYSE:AMD - News) announced today that Dave Orton, former president and chief executive officer of ATI Technologies, has resigned as executive vice president of AMD, effective the end of July, 2007.

"Dave\'s passion and relentless drive catapulted ATI into a solid leadership position in each of the company\'s graphics, chipset and consumer electronics businesses," said Dirk Meyer, AMD president and chief operating officer. "More recently, Dave was one of the key drivers in the successful integration of AMD and ATI. With his integration work complete and the successful launch of key graphics and chipset products earlier this year, the time was right for Dave to take his personal and professional life in a different direction." "It is with mixed feelings that I am leavening AMD," said Orton. "I am very optimistic about AMD\'s future. I believe strongly in the strategies that brought AMD and ATI together and the talented employees of the \'new AMD\' who are committed to winning in the market by delivering the best possible solutions for customers." Adrian Hartog, senior vice president and general manager, consumer electronics group and Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, graphics products group will now report into the Office of the CEO. The addition of the Consumer Electronics and Graphics businesses as direct reports into the Office of the CEO helps ensure the ongoing strategic attention and focus for these important businesses. AMD acquired ATI Technologies on October 25, 2006. The combination of AMD and ATI creates a processing powerhouse with the ability to redefine the boundaries between the components with a PC and deliver the ultimate visual experience.

引用:
Originally posted by Tommi_Vercetti at 2007-7-11 02:15:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070710/20070710005460.html?.v=1

"I am very optimistic about AMD\'s future.
真心話 定係 知道某d 事之前走人先

引用:
Originally posted by dom at 2007-7-11 04:36:

真心話 定係 知道某d 事之前走人先

remember  Dave Orton is THE MAN behind R300

引用:
Originally posted by Richteralan at 2007-7-11 07:10:

remember  Dave Orton is THE MAN behind R300
內地AA insider論AA CEO下台:
1。人家下台不要说风凉话,这样人品不好
2。他不是因为业绩不好走的,本来他就没打算继续呆了,其股票赚翻,几十辈子的生活都没问题
3。其人可能在KY何股票的事情上作过手脚
4。从另一方面来看能把ATI卖50多亿美元绝对可以看到其过人之处

Well,
1. He for sure wouldn\'t stay because AMD simply don\'t need double CEO. His resignation is destined on the day AMD merged with ATI.
2. Also, the merged AMD simply won\'t let ATI do their own business like before. ATI now is AMD and they already replanned their future R&D structure.
3. Of course he earnt enough. I guess no-one even need to doubt that.
4. It is a good time to resign (or leave) AMD because the future of AMD won\'t be as bright as ATI was.

So He\'s smart.

係適當既時候退下來可能係一件好事

引用:
Originally posted by Richteralan at 2007-7-11 14:51:
Well,
1. He for sure wouldn\'t stay because AMD simply don\'t need double CEO. His resignation is destined on the day AMD merged with ATI.
2. Also, the merged AMD simply won\'t let ATI do their own ...
the way of designin AA VGA chips (e.g usin high-cost materials...) may be changed...

引用:
Originally posted by Tommi_Vercetti at 2007-7-11 20:13:

the way of designin AA VGA chips (e.g usin high-cost materials...) may be changed...
This is not really a big problem.

The big problem is the chip architecture design philosophy will be changed.

AMD won\'t let ATI continue to go on the road it did before.

引用:
Originally posted by Richteralan at 2007-7-11 22:18:

This is not really a big problem.

The big problem is the chip architecture design philosophy will be changed.

AMD won\'t let ATI continue to go on the road it did before.
for e.g?? I think AA won\'t continue to make chips which not 2 consider the need of present usage...

引用:
Originally posted by Tommi_Vercetti at 2007-7-16 23:41:

for e.g?? I think AA won\'t continue to make chips which not 2 consider the need of present usage...
AMD now almost cannot compete with Intel in performance arena.
They sustaining their market by slashing price.

They need to open a new front to battle Intel.

ATI, merged by AMD facing the same situation. They are losing development pace from NVIDIA. ATI also need to open a new front, e.g: GP-GPU (Unfortunately nothing from ATI can compete with Tesla), low-power GPU/integrated GPUs.

These are just my prediction. There are no solid examples since it\'s just the beginning.

The "present usage", I guess you mean present market-target, is of course important for AA. But unfortunately can this market section support their costs and relief their debt?

As I just mentioned, AA need more money, that means a more competent product line, a more loyal fan base, a more lateral/spreaded user base.
If any of these is conflicted with their present market-target, they will make some sacrifice.

引用:
Originally posted by Richteralan at 2007-7-17 10:21:
The "present usage", I guess you mean present market-target, is of course important for AA. But unfortunately can this market section support their costs and relief their debt?

As I ju ...
Well, I mean they didn\'t consider the present situation, e.g R600 --> Poor in DX9 performance, but better in DX10....
u r rite, the need of AA is startin a new battlefront, e.g multi-core GPU.

引用:
Originally posted by Tommi_Vercetti at 2007-7-20 13:45:

Well, I mean they didn\'t consider the present situation, e.g R600 --> Poor in DX9 performance, but better in DX10....
u r rite, the need of AA is startin a new battlefront, e.g multi-core GPU.
GPU is already extensively parallel when compared with CPU.
So a multi-core GPU won\'t benefit as much as a multi-core CPU.

And the better DX10 performance of R600 is not certain yet because we don\'t know if it\'s gain from 512-bit memory bus or very efficient VLIW compiler(which i seriously doubt that).

引用:
Originally posted by Richteralan at 2007-7-20 15:08:

GPU is already extensively parallel when compared with CPU.
So a multi-core GPU won\'t benefit as much as a multi-core CPU.

And the better DX10 performance of R600 is not certain yet because w ...
I guess multi-core GPU would not be beneficial IF 2 cores linked in sth like crossfire mode...

引用:
Originally posted by Tommi_Vercetti at 2007-7-22 02:38:

I guess multi-core GPU would not be beneficial IF 2 cores linked in sth like crossfire mode...
even it\'s linked with something more efficient on die level, it won\'t be more beneficial either.
It probably will be less efficient since the 2 cores has to have 2 independent cache/ROP/memory interface, and resulting larger die size.

If using 2 cores with single set of cache/ROP/memory interface, how\'s it gonna be different by adding pipelines within a single core?