打印

[軟件] 免费提升容量?SSD开启NTFS压缩性能测试

免费提升容量?SSD开启NTFS压缩性能测试

http://news.mydrivers.com/1/212/212608.htm

My test:
No compression - Used=77GB
NTFS compression - Used=59GB

Important Note : If you are implementing on system drive, you risk compressing your BOOTMGR, and on next boot an error "BOOTMGR is compressed" will be resulted.
Use caution for using it on system drive, not suggested if you do not have another Windows 7 boot disc at hand.

In case you did, follow the below:
1….Boot off the relevant DVD for your operating system and press a key if/when you are prompted.

2….Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click “Next”.

3….Click “Repair your computer”.

4….Click the operating system that you want to repair and then click “Next” (usually on C:).

5….From the “System Recovery Options” menu, choose “Command Prompt”.

6….Type the following commands exactly as written below, pressing return after each one:

bootrec /fixmbr
       bootrec /fixboot
       bootrec /rebuildbcd
       exit

7…. Reboot your PC and test.

Then you will get it functioning with system drive compressed.

[ 本帖最後由 ccw 於 2011-12-21 12:34 編輯 ]

最后也是相当重要的一点,NTFS压缩相当于增加了对闪存颗粒的写入操作,对寿命当然是有影响。值得SSD用户注意的是,通常SSD的容量越低,颗粒的设计寿命就越小,所以在开启NTFS压缩前还需要权衡一下,更多的容量或更长的寿命,你选哪个 :o)

引用:
原帖由 jackli 於 2011-12-21 09:14 發表
最后也是相当重要的一点,NTFS压缩相当于增加了对闪存颗粒的写入操作,对寿命当然是有影响。值得SSD用户注意的是,通常SSD的容量越低,颗粒的设计寿命就越小,所以在开启NTFS压缩前还需要权衡一下,更多的容量或更长的寿命,你选哪 ...
WFC for life span :0)

not a good trade off for me

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2011-12-21 11:59 發表
not a good trade off for me
It can actually save almost 20GB of space on my 160GB SSD which is >10%, that is not bad for my server in which speed is not a concern as well not much write operation is carried out, even you do write a lot and often, a SSD will still live to the day you have it replaced.

引用:
原帖由 ccw 於 2011-12-21 12:32 發表

It can actually save almost 20GB of space on my 160GB SSD which is >10%, that is not bad for my server in which speed is not a concern as well not much write operation is carried out, even you do wri ...
much higher latency and higher cpu utilization

latency
cpu utilization (電費)
life span
更不可修復性 (雖然ssd 已經系不可修復, 但壓縮左的ntfs 更難修復)

去換

少少容量

---

看倌請自己判斷應唔應該開....

[ 本帖最後由 jackli 於 2011-12-21 18:06 編輯 ]

引用:
原帖由 jackli 於 2011-12-21 17:59 發表

latency
cpu utilization (電費)
life span
更不可修復性 (雖然ssd 已經系不可修復, 但壓縮左的ntfs 更難修復)

去換

少少容量

---

看倌請自己判斷應唔應該開.... ...
I don't really see any drop in performance after implementation, even on start up or shutdown, maybe some latency-sensitive software will tell later.

Higher CPU utilization? How much for a SNB?, and the respective power consumption?
finally, 少少容量? For a 120GB harddisk, it will be like saving 15% of capacity.
修復......I never rely on the SSD to store anything, I back it up often and automated.

Again, lifespan, I can hardly understand if one would really keep using the SSD as the main performance device after 3 years........you keep using your harddisk as your data is inside; SSD is not the case, more likely a CPU or a GPU.

Sure, all depends on how you use your computer, and what the results are on implementing.

[ 本帖最後由 ccw 於 2011-12-21 18:27 編輯 ]

引用:
原帖由 ccw 於 2011-12-21 18:09 發表

I don't really see any drop in performance after implementation, even on start up or shutdown, maybe some latency-sensitive software will tell later.

Higher CPU utilization? How much for a SNB?:nau ...
you don't know how it will impact the lifespan

and CPU utilization difference of 3-5% is very severe already

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2011-12-21 19:10 發表

you don't know how it will impact the lifespan

and CPU utilization difference of 3-5% is very severe already
Actually how would that a few PCT matter?

引用:
原帖由 ccw 於 2011-12-21 19:22 發表

depends on the use really

引用:
原帖由 ccw 於 2011-12-21 19:22 發表

yes