打印

[業界消息] Seagate to stop making 7,200-RPM mobile hard drives

Seagate to stop making 7,200-RPM mobile hard drives

http://techreport.com/news/24439 ... -mobile-hard-drives
引用:
Seagate will reportedly keep making 5,400-RPM mobile hard drives, but the company will push SSHD (a.k.a. hybrid hard drives) as alternatives to the defunct 7,200-RPM offerings. Hybrid drives have been part of Seagate's lineup for a while—we've reviewed some of them, actually. X-bit labs says third-generation offerings will arrive later this year, and Seagate will "position them for performance and capacity demanding end-users."

Really?

Bye bye Seagate. Using WD Scorpio Black anyway....

引用:
原帖由 Richteralan 於 2013-3-4 23:50 發表
Really?

Bye bye Seagate. Using WD Scorpio Black anyway....
Seagate is going with hybrid

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2013-3-4 11:12 發表

Seagate is going with hybrid
The hybrid is only useful in some situations. And that doesn't really warrant the higher cost.

e.g. Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 750GB costs $160 on newegg.com

WD Scorpio Black 750GB costs $90.

And from various benchmarking that the 2nd generation Seagate Hybrid does not really improves that much over regular HDDs.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/51 ... b-hybrid-hdd-review

If I am going to spend 3 digits of money on HDD, I will buy a SSD even with less capacity. The whole hybrid concept is not going to fly in long term.

引用:
原帖由 Richteralan 於 2013-3-5 00:28 發表

The hybrid is only useful in some situations. And that doesn't really warrant the higher cost.

e.g. Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 750GB costs $160 on newegg.com

WD Scorpio Black 750GB costs $90.

And  ...
Maybe market segment only?
I don't think the NAND flash cost too much.

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2013-3-4 11:43 發表

Maybe market segment only?
I don't think the NAND flash cost too much.
NAND chips don't cost much nowadays. Therefore I'd expect Seagate put their Hybrid HDDs around $100 or at most $120. I know they probably invested some for their caching algorithm. But still...

I found out I used to turn OFF my desktop more than once daily. Now with laptop, I seldom turn it off, maybe a few times per month, most of the time just sleep. So the decreased boot time of the hybrid doesn't mean too much to me, and I believe to most laptop users.

引用:
原帖由 qcmadness 於 2013/3/4 21:43 發表
http://techreport.com/news/24439 ... -mobile-hard-drives

7200.4 was good .......even I don't like Seagate I have 3 pcs of 320GB 7200.4
Hybrid Drive is too expensive and not worth the price difference when compare with SSD
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸
Kancolle - 大淀, 翔鶴 (太太), 烏海 , 瑞鶴

For laptop user , who want fast => SSD
who want large storage => HDD
Hybrid maybe good for some but the price tag is outweight the the performance increase
Will you pay $13xx for 750GB 2.5" "Hybrid Drive" ?
I rather get a Crucial M4 128GB and have spare money to buy external 2.5" 500GB
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸
Kancolle - 大淀, 翔鶴 (太太), 烏海 , 瑞鶴