打印

[電子電玩] PCs are no good for games...

PCs are no good for games...

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36390/118/1/1/

For people who are stupid enough not knowing Tim Sweeney, please do google
引用:
TG Daily: With that much background and knowledge about what PCs make sense and which do not, I’d be interested to learn what PC you are using.

Sweeney: My work computers are Dell workstations. Currently, I have a dual-CPU setup, dual-quad cores for a total of eight cores, and 16 GB of memory. We at Epic tend to go to the high-end of things. Until recently, we used to buy high-end consumer PCs, simply because they tend to deliver the best performance. However, as time goes by, we constantly run into stability problems with CPUs and graphics, so we decided to switch to workstations. We just need very, very stable computers and they perform very well.

TG Daily: So, you aren’t really after the highest benchmark numbers obviously.

Sweeney: Part of the problem we see with these systems is that that they are ultra-fast, but often we see our PCs running under full load for 16 hours a day on various projects. We are constantly loading the systems, for instance using Radiosity. These computing tasks are extremely hardware extensive. Most of the high-end systems we worked on are just not engineered to support that.

TG Daily: What are your thoughts on the future of the PC as a gaming platform? Is scalability the future – we hear AMD talking about Spider and Nvidia is selling Triple SLI that will keep us upgrading over the next several years. Or did the industry lose its focus?

Sweeney: PC gaming is in a weird position right now. Now, 60% of PCs on the market don\'t have a workable graphics processor at all. All the Intel integrated graphics are still incapable of running any modern games. So you really have to buy a PC knowing that you\'re going to play games in order to avoid being stuck with integrated graphics. This is unfortunate, and this is one of main reasons behind the decline of the PC as a gaming platform. That really has endangered high-end PC game sales. In the past, if you bought a game, it would at least work. It might not have been a great experience, but it would always work.

TG Daily: Can that scenario change?

Sweeney: Yes, actually it might. If you look into the past, CPU makers are learning more and more how to take advantage of GPU-like architectures. Internally, they accept larger data and they have wider vector units: CPUs went from a single-threaded product to multiple cores. And who knows, we might find the way to get the software rendering back into fashion. Then, every PC, even the lowest performing ones will have excellent CPUs. If we could get software rendering going again, that might be just the solution we all need. Intel’s integrated graphics just don\'t work. I don\'t think they will ever work.

TG Daily: These are harsh words. It looks like Intel has a lot of things coming down the pipe.

Sweeney: They always say ‘Oh, we know it has never worked before, but the next generation ...” It has always been the next generation. They go from one generation to the next one and to the next one. They\'re not faster now than they have been at any time in the past.

Ask Intel, the IGP and overall display market leader

Intel EXtreme "Rubbish" Graphic
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸
Kancolle - 大淀, 翔鶴 (太太), 烏海 , 瑞鶴

個個都唔妥Intel IGP架啦...
nvidia個CEO都話Intel IGP只係個笑話

唔駛 NV CEO 講
係人都知 Intel IGP 係幾垃圾
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸

引用:
Originally posted by dom at 2008-3-27 01:01:
Intel EXtreme "Rubbish" Graphic
Intel EXtreme "Slow" Graphic

果句I don\'t think they will ever work.笑鬼死人

dom dom 仲乜推舊 post 頭先睇篇文熟口熟面 再睇日期

引用:
Originally posted by bebe2803 at 2009-3-31 00:41:
dom dom 仲乜推舊 post 頭先睇篇文熟口熟面 再睇日期
我睇完 CEO post 有感
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸

Well , the Pentium G Core i3/i5 "Bundled" GMA HD at least can render game "normally" now
附件: 您所在的用戶組無法下載或查看附件
天然系長髮眼鏡娘 最高
Lucky Star 聯盟 - 美幸

I still don\'t think we can play modern games with single digit fps